The current version of Dash Board is 1.5.1.
This page lists the significant enhancements to Dash Board that were added with each public release.
Dash Board 1.5.1 (released September 10, 1999)
- Fixed an egregious bug which prevented the multi-city Dash Board Time Display slip from functioning on the German version of the Newton OS, as well as other non-US OS versions.
- Slight improvement in submenu drawing performance
- Fixed a bug that caused error messages in Dash Board Prefs when canceling an operation and then exiting the program in rapid succession.
- Worked around an incompatibility with BugTrap, the excellent free debugging utility for Newton. With Dash Board 1.5, BugTrap would incorrectly generate a crash report which was triggered by Dash Boards internal error handling behavior. We have modified Dash Board so that it no longer triggers these crash reports when no crash actually occurs.
- Fixed a potential memory leak that could occur if the screen orientation was changed a large number of times without a reboot.
- Various minor enhancements and optimizations of core code
Dash Board 1.5 (released March 1, 1999)
- New Hide Button Bar feature allows you to make the button bar disappear so you can use the whole screen area for your applications. A small collapsible floating button bar appears in its place.
- New "Toggle Button Bar" Special Item switches between hidden and visible button bar states.
- Improved DashBoardInsertText scripting command makes it easy to write text-insertion scripts that work in all apps, including Works.
- Improved compatibility with PowerNames, including a new DashBoardFakePNButton scripting command that allows you to access PowerNames functions from your Dash Board scripts.
- New "Books" submenu can display all active Newton Books.
- New multi-clock Dash Board Time Display offers instant access to the local time in three cities of your choice.
- New "seed number" display in registration slip, to make it easier for users with non-Roman names (e.g., Kanji) to register.
- Fixed a cosmetic bug where built in apps would sometimes appear with a snowflake icon.
- Fixed bug that caused Dash Board to complain when used in landscape mode with buttons left.
- Scroll arrows now properly appear on the outside edge when in landscape mode with buttons left.
- Fixed extremely rare bug that caused -48418 error message when Dash Board was opened.
- Fixed bug where dragging the last icon on the button bar to the empty area at the right with less than seven icons on the button bar would cause an error message.
- Fixed bug in Dash Board that caused an error message to be displayed in certain cases with GLEngine installed.
- Various internal optimizations.
Dash Board 1.1 (released July 21, 1998)
- Added three new Special Items, Insert Time, Insert Date, and Insert Date & Time. They insert the current date/time text in any text-entry view, including Works.
- Added ability to Export scripts. You can now export a script to Notes, or if PackMan from ICS. (http://www.newts.com) is installed, you can export selected scripts to a Newton package that you can distribute to others.
- Added new method for scripters, for use in Dash Board scripts. The DashBoardInsertText() method can be used to insert text in virtually any Newton application, including Notes, Works, etc.
- Dash Board Prefs app again properly informs the user that it cannot run without Dash Board installed, rather than generating a cryptic error message.
- Dash Board now adds its registration code to the NewtonID program if NewtonID is used when registering
- Fixed bug that could cause -48418 errors in unusual circumstances (when there was no Owner name defined).
- Fixed bug that caused a -48204 error when using the Running Apps menu after restoring the Newton from a backup.
Dash Board 1.0.1 (released July 5, 1998)
- Fixed bug that caused an annoying (but otherwise harmless) error message to appear after using a Letter Launcher shortcut to rotate the screen.
- Made some improvements to the Import Script feature.
- Dash Board now properly redraws the button bar after the backdrop application is changed in cases where the former backdrop application's icon is added to the button bar,
Dash Board 1.0 (released June 30, 1998)
- First public release